My Blog Story

I am a blog virgin. Apparently, I created an account and created one post in October of 2015 and completely forgot all about it. But then, I saw this e-mail about the blog challenge that Edublogs was hosting and thought it looked interesting. I really don’t follow other blogs per se. I occasionally read blogs that friends or acquaintances write and post on their social media sites, but I don’t subscribe to any of them on a regular basis. I have a friend who writes a blog about her experience struggling with cancer, a friend who writes about her struggle with infertility, and another who writes about her struggles with her special needs child. Each blog is very personal and I read them because I care about these people and I want to keep up with them and what’s going on in their lives.

I do sometimes think about writing a blog as well, but it all feels so personal. It feels kind of like I’m allowing someone to read my diary. So, I’m conflicted about actually wanting to do or not. I want to, but the question I keep asking myself is do I have anything that I want to say that I want to actually put in print AND on the Internet for all to see and to be available into perpetuity. So, my goal with this challenge is to learn. . . to get to feel comfortable with putting my thoughts out there knowing that people could be offended at what I say. That’s the scary part. It’s one thing to feel that you are the only one in the world who feels a certain way. It’s quite another to have it blatantly proven as people express their opinions about what I’ve written. Writing and posting on the Internet is quite an anonymous activity so it’s hard to gauge your audience because you don’t know who’s going to actually be reading your work. If this activity can help me overcome my fear factor, I will feel it has been a success. Ultimately, I would like to write a blog and be able to find joy in that process.

I am looking forward to the veterans who may be part of this challenge. I want to learn from you. I am looking forward to this challenge and the positive outcomes I am looking to come from it.

15 thoughts on “My Blog Story

1. Hello!

Welcome to the #EdublogsClub. I wouldn’t call myself a veteran, but I have been blogging for a couple of years. One tip I would give to you comes from you, “Writing and posting on the Internet is quite an anonymous activity so it’s hard to gauge your audience because you don’t know who’s going to actually be reading your work.” I like to figure the people who are mainly reading my blog are those whom wish to find out more on my blog’s topic: Technology Integration. I write to that topic and picture other educators who read it because of our common interest. Write to those who share the same interest as you and are drawn to your blog because of it’s content.

• Thank you so much for your encouragement and advice, Dan! I’m not sure why this blogging thing scares me a little bit. I’ve never minded writing essays and I certainly don’t mind talking. I’m a big talker. But I find all of this a little bit intimidating. Hopefully, I can get over that as I keep creating new blog entries with this challenge through Edublogs.

2. Hello and bravo on your first post in the #EdublogsClub! I’ve been blogging for some time and while I’ve had periods of extreme activity there have also been plenty of dry spells due to the changes in my family and life. So my advice to new bloggers is to write for YOU – don’t write for an intended audience or try to please people you think (or hope) that might be reading. Of course it’s nice to have an audience, but at the end of the day, blogging can be such a beneficial reflective practice for the writer himself. Best of luck to you and I hope you find comfort in the transparency of this space!

3. Looking forward to reading more. I joined the edublog club to get ideas and remind me to just write. I am a newbie to blogging too.

4. Hi Debra

Welcome to the Edublogs Club!

It can be intimidating initially but it can take you on an incredible journey if you invest the time.

Early advice that helped me when I first started blogging was think about what you will and won’t blog about. You can read Kathryn’s advice here in “Drawing the veil’ http://librariansmatter.com/blog/2007/12/17/drawing-the-veil/

Lyn Hilt’s post also includes some really good blogging tips that I think will help you – http://lynhilt.com/my-blog-story

@suewaters

5. Welcome to blogging!

I completely identify with your feelings about posting…that it is much like allowing unknown strangers to read your diary. To take that a step further, I worry about my opinions and critiques affecting my job. I am sure we are all well aware we cannot post without regard to our employers. I can be very critical and outspoken about things in my school district that need to be addressed and changed, but is that really what I want to put out there publicly? Am I expected to remain silent and let things go on as they are when they are in dire need of change? For me, it is about reigning in the desire to rage-post and find a more constructive way to spotlight things that need to be addressed without damaging the relationship I have with my employer. Thankfully I have never rage-blogged, though I have had my moments of exasperation on Twitter and Facebook, but nothing that would cause me to be fired. I think there is an educational activist in me that I need to harness and use productively, maybe this yearlong challenge will help me with that.

Thank you for posting and being a part of this journey with the rest of us, I look forward to more of your posts!

@mrsruiz2301
    http://www.mrsruiz.net

• Melanie,

You bring up some really good points. I feel the same way about being outspoken. I feel very strongly about my job and I find it hard to be quiet when I feel that decisions are being made that really don’t benefit the kids we serve. That’s an issue I find that gets worse the older I get. I’m not as afraid as I once was to speak my mind. I feel like as long as whatever I say in this blog is something that I would not be shy about saying to my principal’s face, I should be OK. But we shall definitely see how it goes.

• I know what you mean about being outspoken. I feel I am pretty good about holding my tongue when I need to in general. As a teacher however, I have held my tongue more often than not just out of a desire to remain employed. Besides, not everything I think needs to be spoken or shared on social media. It was only about two years ago now that I had had enough about being silent about decisions being made for teachers and students without their input and with tenure to protect me, I made my voice heard in as firm and respectful tone as I could. I was surprised to find it was well received and considered when making future decisions on that particular issue.

6. Looking forward to hearing more from a fellow librarian. Please share your successes and your failures so we can all learn how to help kids.